Maha Shivratri is an annual Hindu festival celebrated in honour of Lord Shiva all over India. The festival symbolises ‘Overcoming darkness and ignorance’ in life and the world. Ardent Shiva devotees keep awake all night with fasting, meditating on the virtues of honesty, non-violence, charity and forgiveness. These quick recipes from ZEE5 will help you break your fast for Maha Shivaratri in a yummy fashion besides adding variety to your meal.
Barfi Pie: The perfect fusion for Maha Shivratri
Barfi Pie is an easy sweet recipe you can prepare in under an hour and do check out these instructions from Chef Maria Goretti in the video below:
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup of flour (Maidha)
- 1 Cup of khoya
- 1 Cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp cardamom
- 15 gms of saffron
- 1 Cup of powdered Sugar
- Take a clean bowl, add butter, sugar and one egg with a little flour. Mix the batter well for the pie mix. Cover it with a clean cloth and cool the dough in your refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Spread the dough and fill it in a pie case. Cut the extra portion and keep it for later. Press the insides of the dough with your thumb and bake it for 15 minutes.
- After baking dock the pie dough so that it won’t rise when you are baking it with barfi again.
- Bake the dough again for 12 minutes, as this dough is the base to fill the sweet barfi mix.
- To make the Barfi filling, on a medium flame set the pan and add Khoya and add 150 grams of sugar. When the mixture turns gooey, add 15 grams of Saffron and 1 tbsp of Cardamom.
- Take out the pie dough from the oven and start filling it with the barfi mix. You can decorate the pie with Lattice made from the extra portion from the dough.
- Add the final touches with a little bit of Pista spread on top of the pie.
- Bake the pie at 180 degrees for 20 minutes and dust the top with powdered sugar.
Carrot halwa with Rabri Tulie
Carrot Halwa is one of the most famous Indian sweets and this fusion with a french Tulie is worth a try!
- 1ltr buffalo milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of flour (Maidha)
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 egg (white portion)
- 5-6 carrots (Grated)
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp khoya
- 1 tbsp cardamom powder
- 1 cup of fresh cream
- Let’s make the Rabri first! Prepare a heavy bottom pan and add 1ltr of Buffalo milk. Add as much sugar as you like to the milk or approximately fix 60 grams of sugar and simmer it.
- For the Tulie, you need 100 grams of Maidha, 60 grams of butter and 60 grams of sugar. Add one egg white and mix the batter. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for the Rabri guys!
- Get a nice clean silicon sheet to make the Tulie and spread the batter. Bake the Tulie to a golden-brown colour, which you will get in 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- When the Rabri is ready, add some almonds and pistas before a quick simmer.
- To start with the Carrot Halwa, heat a pan and add 3 tbsp of ghee. Add 5-6 grated carrots and add 2 tbsp of Khoya. Add some sugar and cardamom powder. Add 2 tbsp of fresh cream for a thick mix.
- Take the tulie out of the oven and roll it to make it stand upright. Fill the tulie with Carrot Halwa and arrange it according to your imagination.
- Have it with Rabri on the side or maybe take some time to admire your ingenious creation!
Paneer Popcorn makes the best snack
This 15-minute south Indian snack recipe is an easy fix for that perfect evening snack!
Cornflour ½ cup
Maida ½ cup
Pepper ½ cup
Red chilli powder ½ cup
Bread crumbs 1 cup
Oil as needed
Salt as needed
- Prepare the pan for deep fry and heat oil.
- Cornflour and Maida powder should be added in equal proportions. Add Pepper to the dough and mix properly. Add water to the batter and mix it well into a paste.
- Add Paneer to the mix and get ready to fry!
- Spread the bread crumbs in a small plate and dip the paneer paste in it to fry.
Easy Masala Puri
This Masala Puri is a quick 30-minute preparation, perfect for any vegetable curry. Do follow the instructions in the video below!
Onion x 2
Green Chillie x 2
Turmeric powder ½ cup
Red Chilli powder ½ cup
Dhania leaf as needed
Cooking Oil as needed
Salt as needed
- Add Wheat flour in a bowl and mix the same with chopped onions, Dhania leaf and green chilli.
- Add salt, a pinch of Turmeric powder and red chilli powder and start mixing together.
- Add enough water and water to the mix to make a dough.
- Keep the dough for 15 mins before frying in oil.
- Flatten the dough and deep fry in oil to make a great afternoon snack. Which was your favourite recipe from the above? Tell us in the comments below!
For more entertainment and drama, watch ‘Sathya Enna Penkutty’ streaming now on Zee5.