Actress Pallavi Gowda, who is familiar to us as Alli of Alliyambal has shared a photo from her Instagram account where was seen dressed in the Kalarippayattu costume. Holding the weapons and maintaining the posture on the sandy beach of Alappuzha, she looked truly like a warrior. Some of her followers even thought that the actress was taking lessons in this particular branch of martial arts. However, it turns out that she wore it for the shooting of the promo song of the serial, Alliyambal. As to why the song features the actress in a martial arts costume is something you must find out for yourself when you start watching the series. The promo song was composed by popular musician Alphonse Joseph to the lyrics of B.K. Harinarayanan was shot in the beautiful Alappuzha.
If you have missed the previous episode of Alliyambal, watch it here:
“You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war,” wrote the actress sharing the picture.
If you wish to know more about Kalaripayattu, which is better known as Kalari, read on.
- The martial arts, Kalaripayattu, has a significant place in the history of Kerala. Earliest references about this art form are found in the Sangam Literature. As the name suggests, it prepares one to survive in the battlefield, be it a real one or just life. It makes the practitioner strong on the inside and outside.
- It is believed to be one of the oldest martial art forms, with its origin dating back to sixth century BC.
- Seventy-four-year old Meenakshi Amma, a native of Vadakara, received the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award, in 2017 for her contributions to this art form. A practitioner and teacher, she was initiated into Kalari at the age of seven.
- The learning of Kalari can be divided into four parts: Maithari (methods of physical fighting), Kolathari (fighting with wooden weapon), Ankathari (iron weapon phase) and Verunkai Prayogam (unarmed combat).
- In the olden days, Kalari was practised primarily for the purposes of war. These days, Kalari is considered more as a means to a healthy lifestyle as it keeps one disciplined and strong. It is advised as a tool for both physical and mental health.
- Contrary to the ancient times, more women and girls are encouraged to learn it today as it is a good self defense technique. It can help one confront attackers in real life.
- Along with Kalaripayattu learning, you will also master the art of patience. Because, one cannot grasp it overnight. Dedication and perseverance are the two keys to study it.
For more entertainment and family drama, watch pookalam varavayi streaming on ZEE5.